Deputy Headmaster/Head of Preparatory - Prince Alfred College
Applications are invited for the position of Deputy Headmaster / Head of Preparatory School at Prince Alfred College, Adelaide
Applications are invited for the position of Deputy Headmaster / Head of Preparatory School at Prince Alfred College, Adelaide. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, caring and experienced educational leader who is committed to making a positive difference to the lives of students, staff and families in the Preparatory School.
The Deputy Headmaster/Head of Preparatory School plays a significant role at Prince Alfred College. The position requires:
- An outstanding communicator who collaborates and builds capacity in all stakeholders.
- An authentic individual with personal warmth and a strong presence.
- A purposeful and respected leader, able to develop contemporary education programs.
Prince Alfred College is a leading independent day and boarding school for boys from ELC to Year 12 based in Adelaide, South Australia. Our mission is to develop young men of character and purpose, compassionate leaders who will make a positive contribution to the world around them. The College’s foundation and values ensure we provide exceptional educational opportunities, and we are well prepared for a rapidly changing future. The College is on the cusp of major infrastructure developments, with the first stage commencing in the Preparatory School. Position Summary:
The Deputy Headmaster / Head of Preparatory School is responsible for the leadership and oversight of the Preparatory School, Early Learning Centre and OSHC (children aged 2 years through to Year 6) including operations, teaching and learning, and wellbeing programs. Reporting to the Headmaster, The Deputy Headmaster / Head of Preparatory School is a member of the College Executive and will make a major contribution to the achievement of the strategic priorities of the College.
The successful candidate will bring expertise in leading a large team of talented staff and be committed to the pursuit of excellence in all that a boy undertakes and achieves through his preparatory years. The Deputy Headmaster / Head of Preparatory School will provide specialist input in determining and implementing new strategic initiatives, particularly in the development of physical spaces and meeting the specific curriculum and pastoral needs of boys. Position Responsibilities:
(abridged – full PD available in Applicant Pack) Educational and Pastoral
- Oversight of the operations of the Preparatory School, ELC and OSHC, nurturing an organisational culture of collective responsibility and commitment to excellence and innovation.
- Effectively lead and support all staff to ensure cohesive and highly functioning teams across the three sub-schools.
- In collaboration with the Director of Teaching and Learning, Assistant Director of Teaching and Learning (Preparatory) and Preparatory staff, promulgate a unified, contemporary and research driven learning program in the Preparatory School.
Management and Administration
- Provide leadership for wellbeing programs in the Preparatory School and ELC.
- Oversee and work closely with key staff in student welfare including the Counsellor, Chaplains and learning support staff.
- Maintain and use the latest knowledge about best practice to ensure the highest standard of student wellbeing programs.
Staff Leadership and Management
- Ensure all areas of the Preparatory School are complaint with WHS and Child Safety standards.
- Manage all budgets for the Preparatory School; and liaise with the Director of Corporate Services, Finance Office and other staff regarding budgets, projects and other related matters.
- Participate in and contribute to master planning and facility redevelopment committees.
- Providing overall leadership, direction and supervision for the Preparatory School, ELC and OSHC staff.
- Guide and mentor staff, role modelling delivery of best practice pedagogy.
- Provide staff with regular feedback, both informally through regular observation, and formally through the College appraisal process.
- Lead and provide oversight of tone, conduct and discipline, in the Preparatory School.
- Act as a role model for students in behaviour and approach.
- In collaboration with the Deputy Head of Preparatory School, provide oversight of the restorative practices and disciplinary procedures.
- Act as an ambassador for the College and ensure the positive positioning of the Preparatory School in the eyes of the College community and wider community.
- Play a key role, in consultation with the Marketing and Community Engagement Office, in the promotion and marketing of the Preparatory School.
- Play an active role, in consultation with the Admissions Office, in the promotion and development of the Preparatory School and ELC, through information nights, tours etc.
Terms and appointment: Commencing in Term 1, 2024 the Deputy Headmaster / Head of Preparatory School
- Tertiary qualifications in preparatory schooling and/or education.
- A minimum ten years’ teaching experience is required, along with significant experience in leading teams within a school environment.
- The ability to be registered to teach in South Australia. Teaching will be required from the date of appointment. See Teachers Registration Board of SA for information.
- Applicants must be, or be eligible to be, a citizen or permanent resident of Australia, or demonstrate a capability to obtain a medium to long term visa. Prince Alfred College would expect to assist in the process of obtaining a visa etc if required.
- All safeguarding children requirements must be satisfied, including Working With Children Checks, police checks, the provision of a safe environment, adequate care and supervision etc.
is a five-year, full time, fixed term 2024 –2028 leadership position, reporting to The Headmaster.
There will be a regular appraisal of performance based on agreed criteria.
For a confidential conversation, enquiries regarding the application process or to obtain an Applicant Information Pack, please contact:
National Head of Executive, James Mundy +61 422 228 164,
E: [email protected]
Senior Executive Consultant, Brendan Fraser +61 438 618 604
E: [email protected] Applications:
Applications will be processed as they are received with a closing date of Monday, 11 September 2023.
Your application should be compiled into one PDF document and consist of a:
- One page covering letter.
- Two-page statement addressing the key selection criteria, as outlined in the Applicant Information Pack.
- Curriculum Vitae, including the contact details of two professional referees. (referees will not be contacted without the prior permission of the applicant)
- Copy of all qualifications including Academic Transcripts, Working with Children Check and SA registration (or equivalent).
Applications marked “CONFIDENTIAL” should be emailed to James Mundy, National Head of anzuk Executive: [email protected] A concurrent search is being conducted. Prince Alfred College reserves the right to interview and appoint prior to the closing date. Prince Alfred College is a Child Safe environment in which there is zero tolerance for child abuse. It is a condition of employment that all employees comply with all relevant policies and procedures, including Child Safe policies. Additional reading and reference materials:
Website: Prince Alfred College (pac.edu.au)
Annual Report: PAC-Annual-Report-2022.pdf